Wednesday, 8 August 2007

The Birthday Present

This is a birthday present that I completed this morning. It is a very very belated birthday present for my future sister-in-law. It has been worked on 14 count rustica aida cloth in DMC threads. It is from a book called "A Cross Stitcher's Oriental Odyssey ". It was meant to be worked on 18 count aida, but with an 11month old who wakes at 3am and a distinct lack of sleep, the concentration skills are just not up to the task.



I love oriental cross-stitches and on our last trip to Melbourne I found this book. I have lots of oriental cross-stitch kits at home and thought it would be nice to have more so that I can make my blank hallway walls an oriental gallery. Here is the kimono design I finished a few months ago. This is the first in a series of oriental designs I want to complete.


I have recently purchased a number of cross-stitch kits from eBay, well actually about 20 kits, which will make excellent birthday and Christmas gifts once completed. I think my next task will be a series of angels, which I will attempt to embellish with some beads and blending filaments.



But first, I have made a new resolution - "I will start new work, but will spend every second night on completing the outstanding work and unfinished projects" I am not sure how well this will go, but I will update the blog with my progress.

4 comments:

Wormie said...

Your work is beautiful!! I love Asian designs - your SIL will adore these, I'm sure!

textiledreamer said...

I really like those Oriental patterns, they look great! I've recently started cross-stitching again when I found some great celtic patterns in Ireland.

Thanks for your comment on my blog! Seeing your nice work, maybe I should find some of my bobbin lace to show off, too!

KaLu said...

sooo pretty! oriental stuff is so pretty but never actually finished anything

Sandra said...

I read it! And added it to my favourites!

Thanks Suzanne, I had a great day today. Hey I didn't know you compiled a recipe book! Are there family recipes, such as nanna's gnocchi! Can I have a peek one day?

Sandra