Thursday, 29 November 2007

A Stitching Drought!

I haven't had much of a chance to get some stitching in. Unfortunately the weather has turned humid and sticky and the dreaded sweaty hands are back in action. The other problem is that Aurelia will not sleep on her own in the evenings and I end up with her sleeping in my arms until late in the night. However, in the small number of hours I have snatched, I have made great progress on my Health and Happiness design. I can't believe how much more satisfying it is to work on linen. I know that I have been saying that a lot, but those who work on linen will understand. I have been using the Gentle Art Sampler threads and you can just make out the subtle colour variations. These are really great threads to use and can't wait to make more use of them.



What do you do with all your leftover bits of thread?

I have been collecting them putting them in a fancy wine bottle. It sits on the shelf in my craft room and every now and then I take them from my sewing basket and put them in the bottle. That is when Aurelia doesn't get to them first and eat them. The other day she grabbed the small pile of threads put them in her mouth and yelled out "YUM". Oh, well what every makes her happy and swallowing the threads won't do her any harm!

14 comments:

Marita said...

These warm nights sure make stitching less fun. I've found during summer that I end up waking early to do my stitching instead of staying up late. That said I've not done any recently - toddlers sure are a drain on stitching time :grin:

samplerlover said...

Hi Suzanne, I see what you mean about stitching with sweaty hands. A couple of weekends ago I stayed down in Sydney with my Dad for a few days. I ended up getting a wet face washer and had to continually wipe my hands with it. Thankfully we don't have the humidity up here.
I know that we need all the rain that we can get but after a while you end up so sick of it. It makes you feel quite mouldy.
I have one of those little containers that you used to get your films in. I usually fill that up and then throw away. I know some people save these little bits and use them as filling for small pin cushions etc. Hopeing for at least a fine weekend - Sandra.

Lelia said...

Well, it is quite nippy here today -- sunny & chilly. I like your ort container [bottle]. I don't save floss. Only if it is over dye & I'm afraid to run out of that dye lot, LOL. While I'm stitching a project I keep piling the oddments on the desk & sweep them into the litter bin when all done.

I like your idea. Very pretty : )

Anita said...

I was laughing about your little girl eating those left over threads. I love that ornament, I stitched it for a friend last christmas, I added some gold beads on it as well.

Our Red House said...

Great Sampler!

Michelle said...

Your ornament is looking great! You are hot and humid and I've in my fleece robe and fuzzy slippers. The story about your daughter eating your threads was so funny.. made me laugh. Michelle

karin said...

I love the ornament. I read a story of your daughter and laughed. I do not store a thread. I like your idea to store in a bottle.

Cheryl said...

Pretty wip. Did you get my email by the way with the freebie?

Emily said...

It's rainy and dark in SW Sweden. Great for staying in and stitching!! Last summer was very rainy, also great for staying in and stitching!

I just save all those little threads. I don't know what to do with them. Every now and then I will toss them, since, as I said, I don't know what else to do with them..lol.

KaLu said...

yum! maybe she should try some six strands sweets heehee they have some yummy names

Alondra likes to play with them too she pass to one hand to another

Beatrice said...

I envy the warm weather...We are having a snow and rain day here. We can't go out it is so bad!!
Hopefully you can get back to the stitching soon!!!
Have a great day!

Michelle said...

Suzanne, thanks for your kind thoughts for my husband.. all went well and now we wait. Michelle

Our Red House said...

You've been tagged. Check my blog for details.

tkdchick said...

Your progress on your piece is just lovely and you've picked a pretty linen to stitch it on.

Do you not find that GAST threads have a tendancy to tangle and knot?

I looove the bottle you're using for your orts. Mine is a mason jar its pretty but not refined!