Wednesday, 12 December 2007

A taste of Christmas

Yesterday was the last day of playgroup and the annual Christmas party. Aurelia was not really interested in what was going on and during the nativity play was off busy playing with the seesaw. However, when Santa arrived she showed a little interest, but mainly because all the other children where jumping up and down and screaming. As all the presents were being handed out, I think it dawned on her that maybe there might be something for her. When her named was called out she reluctantly sat on Santa's knee, accepted her gift and then gave it back to Santa saying 'ta'. She just loves giving things to other people, how sweet!


We all had to bring a plate, but I just new that it would be chocolate, lollies and chips, junk that Aurelia hates to eat. I decided to make rock cakes, the kids wouldn't touch them, but the adults and Aurelia loved them. The most exciting thing to happen, was that we discovered that she loves oranges and watermelon. Mum and Dad finally have victory over the anti-fruit campaign.



I can't say that I am looking forward to Christmas this year. I am looking forward to giving my daughter her gifts and spending time with my family, but I have guests coming this year. It's not that I mind having guests, but it can be so draining having to entertain them and cook for them, especially when they are very fussy eaters. Currently the house is a disgrace and the guest bedroom buried under a pile of junk. We have a garage sale on Saturday, so I hope that it will be clean after that. Then it's heads down, bottoms up and clean, clean, clean. Oh dear!! At least the ironing pile is completely gone!!!

Rock Cakes
2 cups
self-raising flour
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
90g butter
⅓ cup
caster sugar
1 cup sultanas
2 tablespoons finely chopped dried apricot
1 egg lightly beaten
½ cup milk

Sift flour and cinnamon into a large bowl, rub in the butter, stir in sugar and fruit. Stir in the egg, then enough milk to give a moist yet still firm consistency. Place one heaped tablespoon (about the size of a golf ball) of mixture onto lightly greased oven trays about 5cm apart. Sprinkle the cakes with a little extra caster sugar. Bake in a moderately hot oven, 190C, for about 15 minutes or until browned. Loosen cakes; cool on trays. Makes about 14 to 16 little cakes.

I am not sure where this recipe came from, it was hand written on a scrap of tatty paper from an old collection of recipes I was given.

14 comments:

samplerlover said...

Hi Suzanne, - Aurelia looks lovely. Kids are precious at this time of the year. Your rock cake recipe looks like its quite easy and very yummy. I will have to have a go at making some. Haven't the thunderstorms been spectacular over the last week, although as I keep saying I'm quite sick of the rain. I think we have a lot more to come yet. Yesterday and today is quite cold up in the mountains. If you happen to come up bring something warm with you.
We were lucky on Sunday as we spent the day with our son in Sydney and just missed out on the really bad thunderstorm. I think if we had left half an hour earlier we would have been stuck in it along the M4. You could tell that there had been a bad one along there as all along the road at Eastern Creek there were leaves and branches everywhere. My husband kept saying to me that there must have been large hail because there were so many leaves there. Anyway have a lovely weekend with your garage sale and I hope you get rid of what you don't want. - Sandra.

Anita said...

I love the pictures of your daughter and Santa. Wow, the cookie looks yummy and thank you for the receipe. I don't like visitors coming to stay my house either.... too much work and too much cooking. Hope you will survive..:)

Mary Ann said...

Cute pictures of your daughter! Thank you for the recipe--I'll be trying them soon.

samplerlover said...

The Weather - Yuk - Currently it is raining and 12 degrees. Just checked the Weather Chanel for you. Tomorrow partly cloudy, Sat, fine 27 degrees, Sun you guessed it rain and 23, Monday and Tuesday, showers, Wednesday, cloudy - so it looks like you get your wish for a fine Saturday. Those temps. are for up here by the way.
I'm glad to like my nutcrackers. The really tall one I got in DJ's sale last year. He is beautiful and has a lot of gems around his crown.
Now that sampler is called A Token of Love by With My Needle. You can either do it mono or multi coloured. I chose the multi coloured version.

samplerlover said...

Sorry, all this rain is starting make my brain go soggy. It should have been An Emblem of Love by With My Needle designed by Ellen Chester. - Stay Dry - Sandra.

Lelia said...

Your daughter & Santa are adorable!!! I remember when my three were on Santa Watch.

Really, she likes watermelon? Good girl : ) My boyz will eat fruit ... I make them! Otherwise, they would skip.

Jaimie said...

Cute pics! I miss my kids at this age! I tried to sign up for the Lavender Angel Stitch-A-Long but the e-mail would not work. I left the info over at the other site.

Michelle said...

What sweet pictures with Santa :) Those rock cakes look good. Are they like a scone? I know how you feel about houseguests.. it's fun but a lot of work too! Michelle

Cheryl said...

Aurelia looks so cute with santa!! Having guests is indeed hard work....my DH is Canadian so we often have people over to stay and it is draining! None over for Christmas though thank goodness LOL

Lynn said...

I agree that as much as I love having guests, it can really drain your energy reserves. Most of our visitors come in summer. Too much snow and cold for them to visit now. Our Christmases are generally pretty quiet.
Aurelia is adorable! Trust me, in a year or so she'll know exactly who Santa is!!
Thanks for the recipe. It looks really easy and I hope to give it a try.

Our Red House said...

Your daughter is a real sweetie. Let's hope she continues her dislike of junk food.

I *love* rock cakes. My mother often made them and I sometimes do to. Your recipe looks delicious.

Kate

Ranae said...

Aurelia is so cute with santa. Those cookies aure look yummy. Will have to try them.
Good Luck with your guests.

Beatrice said...

YUMMMMM..They look great.
The photo with Santa is so cute! So Sweet to give Santa the gift back.. She has a gift!!!!

Kathy A. said...

What a sweet picture of your little angel - and returning the gift to Santa - how adorable!! Next year, she will really be into the Santa thing. Enjoy your holidays.