Monday, 14 January 2008

Blown away....

Yesterday was the hottest day throughout this whole summer, 37C and it's not really that hot compared to previous years. We spent the morning up in the Blue Mountains at a lookout in Blackheath. As you can see from the photo it was a gorgeous day. We had a lovely lunch and headed to my Mum and Dad's place so Aurelia could spend some time with her grandparents. As the afternoon wore on, the sky grew darker and darker and DH speculated whether we would see rain that afternoon. Well, what did arrive was something I had never seen before. The hail started and then the wind blew. The hail, although not large, pelted down with a 100km wind behind it. The tree in front of my Mum's place split in two and came crashing down, hail and rain was horizontal so that it was forced under the roof tiles and wind so strong it tore the fly screen of the window.


Now, I have lived in the same suburb for over 30 years and I have never seen this kind of destruction to our beautiful little town. Along every street, the roads were littered with leaves and branches, large trees had come down and very large branches had been torn from trees. We had lost our power as large trees had taken down the power lines nearby. When we arrived home, we surveyed the front garden and were surprised that there were only a few small branches and plenty of leaves around. However, when we looked in our back garden, we were shocked at the mess. We lost one tree which had broken at ground level and some very large branches had fallen down. The paved area was littered with leaves and two branches had punched holes in our pergola roof. All in all though, I think we were pretty lucky as nobody was injured and our house remained undamaged. After we had made a quick cleanup of the branches and tree, DH packed the chainsaw into the car and drove around the neighbourhood offering help to anyone who needed it. I am not surprised that he did this, DH is a very kind and generous man, who is always looking out for others.


The good news is that we had rain for another few hours, so the garden received the water that it has so desperately needed. Today, with the help of Mum and Dad, we swept up the paved area and pruned and trimmed any broken branches and thankfully the weather was much cooler. Excellent stitching weather, but alas, no time to stitch.....

16 comments:

Emily said...

Glad you all are safe! I hope you manage to find some time for stitching!

Karen's Blog said...

I know what you mean about the weather. It was just wild.I'm glad you are all ok.

Jaimie said...

Wow hail on the hottest day of the year! I'm so glad no one was hurt but your mom's poor tree! That was so nice of your dh to offer help to the neighbors.

Ranae said...

aww! I am sorry for your damaging losts.
But, you are all o.k. thats what counts.
Take care!!

Little Cat said...

Wow that sounds like a powerful storm. I'm glad everyone was ok. What a great hubby you have to go out and help everyone in their clearing up.

samplerlover said...

Hi Suzanne, we could tell around 1pm that a storm was due. The boys pagers went off to let them know that a severe weather warning with strong winds and hail was coming so we were prepared, e.g. computers, t.v.is. etc.
We ended up though with just a thunderstorm and rain. I'm glad that you all survived it. It sounded nasty. - Sandra.

Our Red House said...

Wow, I have never experienced anything like that. I hope nobody was hurt.

I am looking forward to seeing the stitching you get up to this year. I haven't done anything since before Christmas. I think I'll wait until all the kids are back at school.

Kate

Susan said...

I just found your blog through a comment on Vonna's blog.

I'm sorry about all the weather damage that you've had. My parents live in Ballarat in Victoria (I'm in Chicago), and I've been hearing about the hot summer they've been having down there.

Cheryl said...

My goodness, sounds like crazy weather! How kind of your DH to do that for your neighbours

Beatrice said...

Oh dear!!!I'm so happy you are all fine. That was a very destructive storm. What a good DH you have. People need to pull together under those circumstances. Take care of yourself and the family.
I did the Google map thing to see where you are located. Now I know..I looked before but I couldn't remember!
All the best to you.
Beatrice

Michelle said...

Sounds like you got our weather! Hope you find time to stitch..

Michelle

Anita said...

Wow what an experience you had. We have hails here in Texas every so often. The good part was there was not damages to your house.

Kathy A. said...

Glad to hear you survived that storm with minimal damage. High winds are always so scary. So nice of DH to help out around the neighborhood. Take care of each other.

Lelia said...

Beautiful photos. We are going to have below zero temperatures on Saturday. Brrr. That bitter cold is dreadful.

Laura (nutmeg5) said...

So glad you came through that storm well. I am from north-central Texas in the USA and summer storms with hail and/or tornados are not uncommon...so I know exactly what it looks like afterward :-(. It is very hard on the garden. Hope the cleanup goes well.
I enjoyed looking at your projects in your other posts also. Lots of nice stitching.

Lynn said...

Wow,that was one wicked storm from the sounds of it! Glad to hear that none of your family was harmed and that the damage you sustained was minimal. I grew up in a tornado belt so I know how frightening it can be.
Glad to hear Aurelia is feeling better now. I think almost every child ends up with roseola at some point or another. I know mine all did.
Your stitching plans for the new year look great! I'm looking forward to watching the progress of the blessings.