Thursday, 19 March 2009

Nuts About Nuts!

Well as the title suggests, yes we went nuts over some nuts on the weekend. Sunday was our annual chestnut picking day and picnic. It's a fun day for everyone! We picked quite a lot of chestnuts and I am going to try and freeze some whole and make some chestnut puree to freeze as well, both sweetened and unsweetened. These will be great to use through the winter and even into next summer. We had a great family picnic with both my parents and then went apple picking after lunch. Aurelia was very excited and helped pick lots of apples and now is really happy to eat the apple as it is. This is the best news, as now I don't have to peel and slice them into little pieces.


The other night we had a slight drama, which I must add was very scary. Aurelia ran into the lounge room and then tripped on the corner of the rug. She hit the side of her forehead really hard onto the corner of the coffee table. A lump appeared almost instantly and was about the size of half a golf ball. We watched her for the following few hours and I checked a few times in the night, but she was fine apart from a cracking bruise.


Amelie cut her first tooth yesterday. She is only 5 months old, but already has a tooth, but then I think Aurelia was the same. She has been testing that little tooth out occasionally when I give her a feed, just to make sure that I am still paying attention.

Finally for a little bit of stitching, it's been very humid here and I find I sweat a lot and can't stitch as much as I would like. I have been working really hard on Joan's RR for the Little House Needleworks RR. I have put it together using a few different charts and I am about halfway through (the picture is a little earlier on and more stitching has been added to it).


Yesterday a parcel arrived from Sonda containing the travelling pattern she had offered on her blog. The design is "My Needle and My Floss" by Waxing Moon. I have already ordered all the threads I need to stitch this, so I can't wait to get a start. Sonda also sent a great scissor fob that she made. It's in beautiful earthy colours which have to be my favourite colours. Thank you Sonda for this wonderful fob and for the opportunity to participate in the travelling pattern.


I have also joined a new SAL called the Totally Useless SAL. Basically you create an ort jar that you share on your blog every new moon. You can put any stitching related scrap into it and make a sort of feature out of it. This takes no extra effort as this is all part of your everyday stitching. Should be fun, so keep an eye out in the next week or so for the first official photo. Here is yesterday's effort.

13 comments:

Crazee4books said...

Hi Suzanne,

For all that we hear every
Christmas season about "Chestnuts
roasting by an open fire" I have
to admit that I've never tasted
chestnuts, roasted or otherwise,
ever. It's neat that you got to
pick your own. Do you make
stuffing with yours or keep them
strictly as a snack??

Poor little Aurelia!! Such a
nasty bump and bruise on her
forehead. I'm so glad to hear
that she wasn't seriously hurt.
I can remember doing much the
same thing when I was a kid too.
As a matter of fact, I think the
lumps are still there!! That
might explain a few things about
me....

You're still enjoying (??) those
stifling hot temperatures are you?
And here we're getting excited
when the temperature reaches the
10 degree Celsius mark.

Joan's RR is looking so cute so
far. Love the thread spools that
make up the border. This looks
like quite a big square to fill,
but I love what you've done with
it so far.

I've read about many stitchers
who have joined the Totally Useless
Sal and it does look like a hoot.
I'd have to get a container with a
lid because of the cats though.
I'll have to think about joining.
I like the bowl you're using for
your collection.

It's nice that Sonda has started
another "traveling" pattern. And
it is a very appropriate design
too. Enjoy!

Cheers!!

Susan said...

Gentle {{{hugs}}} to poor Aurelia!

Good luck with Amelie's teething! My DS got his first tooth before he was 4 months old.

LOL at the Totally Useless SAL!

Margit said...

Poor Amelie! I feel sorry for all of your family because I think everbody suffers when something like this happens.
I bet Joan's RR will be adorable! Can't wait to see how it will turn out.
Sonda is doing wonderful scissor fobs! I love them.

cathymk said...

Oh what a bump! Poor lass - must have been a shock.

Lovely work on the RR!

What a pretty bowl for your orts - will be interesting to see them all together.

Brigitte said...

Poor little Aurelia. I hope ahe already feels better. I remember this kind of accidents with my own kids and I also remember having been totally scared when soemthing like this happened.
Nice theme for the LHN RR.

karenv said...

Poor Aurelia, what a shame. I hope she's feeling better now.

The RR you're working on looks lovely so far.

Kathy A. said...

Nice newsy post. Congratulations on winning the Sisterhood from Sonda. It is a lovely stitch. Poor little Aurelia - hope that nasty bump has gone down.
How cool to pick chestnuts and apples!
Your progress on the RR is looking lovely.

Julianne said...

Suzanne,

I'm glad that Aurelia wasn't injured more seriously. That must have been quite a scare.

Your part of Joan's rr looks wonderful thus far and knowing your talent I'm sure it will be fabulous.

Have a nice weekend.

Melissa said...

Hi Suzanne,

Please come by my blog and pick up an Award! Have a lovely weekend.

Tammy said...

Poor baby girl with the goose egg on her head! I've been through my share of those with my son (now 12 with a newly broken ankle, lol). Your stitching is beautiful and I love that Waxing Moon pattern. I really need to treat myself to that one!

Von said...

Ouch! What a big bump on a little girl! So glad Aurelia is fine. We've had a few similar head injuries around here over the years and my kids seem to have survived just fine. :)

The Scarlett House said...

Poor little thing. I'm glad she wasn't hurt any worse, that was bad enough. Too funny about the Totally Useless SAL.

Mylene said...

Beautiful pictures of you and the girls.
Glad to hear the bump wasn't that serious and that Aurelia feels much better now.
Good start on the RR.