Friday, 10 July 2009

A long awaited post

I have finally got back to blogging this week after a few weeks of drama. As you know, the washing machine emptied it's full load of water out onto the carpet, which has now been removed. Yes, we are living with concrete floors in a small area of the house and it's winter and yes, it's cold.

Basically, the reason this all happened is that we don't have a floor waste in the laundry floor, hence the water had no where to go except around the house. In order to replace the floors, we now have to address this problem, which means a total laundry renovation. Currently the laundry doesn't look like it fits into the rest of the house, so we are having one wall of the laundry removed, so the laundry expands another metre and uses up the useless hallway. Please see pictures for further clarification. While we are renovating, we are going to have the exposed brick walls around the house covered with dry wall, so that should lighten up the house and reduce the amount of dust in the house. Finally, when all that work is completed, we are having floating timber floors laid through the high traffic areas of the house. This will mean the flooring will all match and be much easier to look after. I have found a contractor, who has come up with a great plan and reasonable price. We now only have to work out the finer details and he should be able to start in about eight weeks time.


While all this was happening, both Amelie and myself have been sick. She had been crying and sleeping less than ever before. For several nights I sat up in a chair in her room so she could sleep on my chest. At the time I was really annoyed and couldn't understand why. Several days later I discovered the reason when I was sick as well. I developed a really sore throat, that when I laid down felt like it was on fire. When I sat up, it didn't hurt as much, which explained Amelie's desire to sleep upright on my chest. Both of us then lost our voices and mine is only just getting back to normal.

Enough of that, now to some stitching. I entered a draw on Karen's blog and I won the chart 'Earth Sampler' by The Primitive Needle. Once everything settles down and I get my stitching commitments out of the way, I am definitely starting this one. I have already ordered the fibres I need. So thank you very much Karen, I am definitely going to enjoy stitching this one and I think it will reinvigorate my desire to stitch.


Last week I received a purchase I made from Kathy Barrick's Etsy Store. Most of you would recognise her from her Carriage House Samplings. Kathy is currently selling a number of her OOP designs on her Esty store and I just couldn't resist these purchases.


I have made a tiny bit of progress on my 'Flax Fields' by Carriage House Samplings. Not as much as I would have liked, but any progress is good I suppose.


I have also stitched a little more on 'My Needle and My Floss' by Waxing Moon Designs. I really want to finish this one soon, so I can send her off to another willing stitcher.


Finally, I have to apologise to Julianne. This is my progress on your square for the LHN RR. I was supposed to have posted it off last week, but as you can see I am not quite finished. The house needs a roof and then there is a squirrel and a tree to stitch. I am going to make an extra effort to get this one stitched as soon as possible.

I will leave you with some photos of last Sunday, when we took a trip to Sydney and went to the Aquarium, had Yum Cha for lunch and spent a lovely afternoon at the park and merry go round.

24 comments:

Lisa said...

Oh I love that last photo of you and your daughter on the carousel horse, what a lovely shot!
Glad the house problems are starting to work out for you and you are starting to feel better. I also love your current stash enhancement!

Kim B said...

Wow it sounds like your laundry troubles turned into a big renovation! I hope it all goes well!

And you have some great projects going on there!

Rowyn said...

You poor thing being sick and having your washing machine disaster. I hope things only get better for you.

You have some gorgeous new charts and WIPs on the go.

Great photos of you and your girls too.

Vonna said...

How big your girls are getting!
I'm sure the renovations to your house will be splendid! Sounds lovely :)
And what a fun day at Sydney you had!
Your WIPS...looking great...and I know from experience, Julianne is a kind woman and I'm sure she's ok with your being a bit late ;)

Chiloe said...

I'm glad you're fine ;-)

Hope the home improvment won't be too painful ... I hate that actually !!! lol

You managed to make god progress on your projects ;-)

Margit said...

I am sorry for all the mess that you have to go through, but I love your stitchings. Your girls look very sweet!

Cathy B said...

My, you've had quite a time during the past few weeks with the laundry room flooding and then being sick, yikes! Glad everyone is feeling better now and I'm sure you're new laundry room will be wonderful!

Looks like you all had great fun at the aquarium!

Julianne said...

Hi Suzanne,

Don't give my RR a second thought. What you've done so far looks great! Please just put it on the back burner until life returns to a more normal pace for you.

You've had an awful lot to deal with but it sounds like you're starting to see a light at the end of the tunnel. I hope that you, and Amelie are feeling 100% again very soon.

Thanks for sharing the lovely pictures of you and the children. They are so cute!

Anita said...

Lovely pictures of your girls and you. Sorry to hear about you being sick and the flooding issue. I know how it feels, it happened to me years ago. Take good care of yourself and hope you will feel better soon and everything will be back to normal in no time.

Brigitte said...

It doesn't sound funny, this floor problem in your house. I hope it will soon be fixed so that you needn't walk on that concrete any longer.
Good to read that you and your little daughter are on the mend. Being sick AND having a house problem is just a bit much.
You have some great WIPs on the go. I also love everything by Kathy Barrick and could buy her charts blind.
Very nice family pictures!

Beatrice said...

I hope all goes well with the reno's
I'm glad you are both on the mend. I had it too and am still coughing. I's terrible when a little one is sick and can't explain.
Take care. The photo's are sweet. I love the silhouette on the aquarium.Wow!
Your stitching is looking great. Nice charts!

Kajsa said...

I'm so sorry to hear about everything that has been going on. At least it sounds like you have a good plan now. It's always a big hassle when these things happen.

I got Autumn Blessings too, isn't it a neat design? Your stitching is lovely as always. I'm so amazed that you so much stitching done with 2 little ones.

Ranae said...

I do hope by now everything is getting back to normal and that your both feeling better.
Great stash!
Great WIP's!
Great pic's!
I have always admired Flax Fields designs.
Your sweet girls sure look like you
Take Care!!

Ranae said...

P.S. I forgot to add...
Do you want to SAL the Earth Sampler. I have the fabby, don't know about the thread. I might have them by the time you are ready to start it, hehe
LMK

Jan said...

What lovely photos, Suzanne! Such renovation you have going on, and I hope that it is done soon for you. Isn't it funny sometimes why things happen?

So sorry you and the babe were ill, but hopefully on the way to a full recovery now!

Michele said...

I really enjoyed this post .. great pictures!!! I'm so sorry you had the water problems .. I hope the fix goes smoothly!

Daniela said...

I am so sorry about the flooding in your house. I can only imagine how much hazel this means to you.

Love the progress on your WIP, especially the Flax Field.

The Scarlett House said...

You poor thing! You have had a lot on your plate lately. There is nothing worse than having your home torn apart. I hope everything settles down soon. Love the photos at the aguarium!

timetostitch said...

Great Photos! I love your plans for the house redo...all the best to that project. Your stitching photos are great. You sound like a very busy beaver!

Siobhan said...

I'm sorry to hear that you & the baby have been sick! Add that to the drama with the house and you've had a rough couple of weeks. :P I love the progress on your WIPs, though--fabulous stitching! Love the stash enhancement, too!

Dani - tkdchick said...

Wow you've had a time of it lately! I'm glad you've found a little stitching time.

I bet your house will look like a million bucks after the reno!

Lili said...

I had my floors all done and it's no piece of cake to deal with all the furniture meantime. But what a joy when it's done...

KaLu said...

omg your little girls are sooooo big now!! sorry to hear youve both been sick ... it really sucks when they have some discomfort and they cant tell you whats wrong with them ...
i love the pics of your trip it looks like you guys had alot of fun!

Mylene said...

Great pictures of you and the girls.

Speaking of Yum Cha...i sooo missed that but they don't have it here in holland.