Saturday, 5 December 2009

At Long Last Some Secret Stitching

I would like to say thank you to all the people who left words of encouragement and advise about my chore planner it was just what I needed. It has been four weeks now and I think everything seems to have settled into a great routine. The children can make as much mess as they like where their toys are as long as they don't drag toys over the rest of the house. This leaves them with the entire lounge room and entryway for their mess. I have more quality time to spend with the girls and more stitching time (except when DH is home and then everything seems to get out of hand!). I feel much happier about my home and I don't get into a panic when visitors arrive unannounced.

The year is coming to a close and I have finished all my stitching commitments. This means a little more me stitching, I have done very little of it this year. To celebrate, this is the first item I stitched. It's a little needlebook, which has been completely hand finished. I feel so good about it. Not only did I make something useful, but I followed the instructions and found they were quite easy to understand. I tried some new skills (nun's stitch and buttonhole stitch) and they were not as scary as I thought. I used a handmade antique bead for the closure.


Design: Acorn Sampler Sewing Case - Needlebook
Designer: With My Needle
Fabric: 32ct Belfast linen- Ecru
Threads: DMC
Finish: Needlebook

Next is the ornament I stitched for Marie for the Friends Through Thread ornament exchange. This was a new finish for me, as I have never made anything that wasn't square of rectangular. By lacing it by hand, I found that it wasn't as hard as I first thought.


Design: Christmas Poinsettia Topiary
Designer: Praiseworthy Stitches (Gift of Stitching Magazine, Issue 34 November 2008)
Fabric: 36ct Edinburgh linen - Cream
Threads: Gentle Art Sampler Threads
Finish: Christmas Ornament

This is the PIF I stitched for Kathy. I haven't heard from her yet, but she should have received it by now as it only takes two days at the most by post from my location to hers. I finished this little ornament with a beaded trim on the bottom, it just seemed to need a little something else.


Design: Red Winged Blackbird
Designer: Bent Creek
Fabric: 28ct Belfast linen - Putty
Threads: DMC
Finish: Ornament

Finally, I would like to say that I have one more place available for a PIF. If you would like to participate and receive one of my hand stitched items, please leave a comment indicating your interest. If you would like to know more about the PIF check out this post.

17 comments:

Jackie said...

Your finishing is just beautiful!

The needlebook is so tiny! I love the closure you selected for it!

Brigitte said...

Your little needlebook is so delicate and beautiful. A most wonderful finish and finishing and you can really be proud of it.
I alos love the ornaments you stitched for Marie and for Kathy. So pretty.

samplerlover said...

Hi Suzanne,
How are you are you going. My goodness you are getting so good with your work. Everything in this post that you have made looks so beautiful and your finishing looks quite professional. Give yourself a huge pat on the back. - Sandra.

Daffycat said...

Such lovely stitching, Suzanne! I adore the teeny tiny needlebook, so darling. Your ornaments are wonderful as well!

JOLENE said...

Hi Suzanne,

Love those squirrels on your needle book. It looks so dainty and delicate and so sweet and small. Precious. Beautiful work of art.

Julianne said...

Hi Suzanne,

It's great to hear that you've gotten your house chores set up in a way that works well for you. That's no easy task and it's great to hear that you have more peace about it.

Your little needlebook is precious. I'm so happy that it is for you! You make the most beautiful things and the work you do is second to none. The beautiful book you made for Jill comes to mind here.

I hope that you, and your lovely family enjoy happy times together this Holiday Season. I wish you all the best for the coming year.

Deb said...

Your finishing is beautiful. I think that your little needlebook is just wonderful! All your finishing is so perfect!

Glad that you've gotten your household under control. It does make life so much easier doesn't it. I still have problems with my kids, but we're getting there.

Andrea said...

Your finishes are just beautiful. I love the Acorn Needlebook.

Mylene said...

I so love your needlebook finish, so neatly finished as well as all the ornaments sent out. Great job!!

Lisa said...

I love the red winged black bird finish, I have just used the same design for an exchange piece, I will have pics when my recipient receives it.
If you dont have anyone extra for your PIF, I will put my name forward.

Aussie Stitcher said...

Your needlebook turned out great, it is so small. I also love the round ornament that you finished, well done.

Jan said...

Love the needlebook and all of your other projects are just over the top beautiful! Pat thyself on the back for a job well done!!!

Margaret said...

Lovely stitching Suzanne - your needlebook is my favorite, absolutely perfect looking.

Wishing you and your family a Blessed Christmas and Happy & Healthy 2010.

Cheryl said...

Oh everything you have stitched and finished is beautiful!

KaLu said...

WOW you are so creative! you have amazing finishes! they all look great

Siobhan said...

Your finishing is fantastic! I love the needlebook. Very creative!

akinaustralia said...

Hello. I did write an e mail to thank you hope you received it. The past months have been difficult but now it is a new year and I know this is going to be the best year ever. I hope you will be soon seeing new things on my blog. XX Kathy