Monday, 16 August 2010

This and That

First I would like to say sorry to Gwen, she sent me a beautiful exchange piece for the Hooked On Exchanging For The Birds Exchange. It had been held up in quarantine for a week or so and I finally received it last week. I promised to post a picture straight away, but with cleaning and organising a birthday party, time slipped away from me.

Here is the pillow Gwen sent me. It's a design called Pumpkin Blossom by Blackbird Designs. Gwen sewed some beads on to it and filled it with crushed walnut shells (that's why quarantine held it). It's such a beautiful pillow and I love it. Thank you Gwen. I also have to thank the quarantine officer whom I spoke to. She very carefully unpicked the stitching of the pillow so that she could examine it's contents and then taped it back up. When the pillow arrived it took me five minutes to sew the pillow closed and you would never know that anyone had touched it.



Yesterday was Aurelia's 4th birthday and we had a lovely big party for her. I cooked a mountain of food over two days and I must say that I am now exhausted today. She had a wonderful time and was the perfect child, with lots of thankyou's, please's and making sure that everyone was fed and happy. I can see her being the perfect party hostess one day. My DH hasn't downloaded the photos yet, so I will post them in the next day or so.

In between all this work for the party, in the evenings I made some time to sit, relax and sew. I finally finished Aurelia's Christmas ornament. I am mostly pleased with how it turned out, although I had a really hard time turning this piece out once I had sewn around it. I had to unpick and restitch some of the inside corners, so I don't quite know what I did wrong. Does anyone have any advice on how to sew this odd-shaped pillow ornaments?

Design: Noel
Designer: Prairie Moon (JCS Ornament Issue 2008)
Fabric: 28ct Cashel Linen - Platinum

Threads: Belle Soie Silk
Finish: Christmas ornament

My Emblem Of Love RR made it's way home on Friday and I am so excited. The piece looks beautiful. Sorry it looks so wrinkled, but I want to finish stitching the date and then I am going to give it a good iron. I would like to thank Carol, Margaret, Edgar, Wendy Jo and Deb for stitching on my piece, you all did a fabulous job.

Design: An Emblem Of Love
Designer: With My Needle
Fabric: 36ct Edinburgh Linen - Cream
Threads: DMC, The Gentle Art, Olde Willow Stitchery

22 comments:

Lisa V said...

Some lovely pieces there Suzanne. I had a pin cushion arrive with walnut shells in it but customs didn't hold that back. They did hold back one that had lavender in it though and wouldn't let me have it, I was soo disappointed.
LISA V

Melissa said...

What a lovely exchange! The RR is beautiful with such wonderful colours!

Congratulations on finishing the ornament! I can see the challenge of finishing all those corners but you did it!

Chocolates4Breakfast (TerriBoog) said...

The pillow from Gwen is so pretty! Glad you were able to put it back together with not too much trouble.

No help on ornament turning but it looks wonderful, I think!

And WoW! EoL is stunning. The colors are gorgeous and the stitching beautiful. Congratulations!

Margaret said...

Love the ornament you received! And your RR piece -- beautiful! The angel ornament is wonderful too -- happy belated birthday to your DD. :D

Jackie said...

Beautiful ornaments! Your RR is gorgeous too. How long ago did you send it out?

Cheryl said...

Emblem of love is gorgeous! Are you going to frame it?
Thats funny the pillow was held in quarantine!
Happy Birthday to Aurelia!! Is she really 4? Wow, time flies!

Margit said...

Happy late birthday to Aurelia!
I love the little BBD-pillow that you received.
Isn't it just wonderful to receive such an adorable RR back? I am very happy for you that it turned out sooo beautiful.
I just looove your angel and it looks like you did a phantastic job on the finish!!!

Nancy said...

The piece Gwen stitched for you is beautiful! I have never seen this stitched as a pillow, and I just love it!

I think your ornament looks wonderful, and your Emblem of Love sampler is just gorgeous!

cathymk said...

Such a lot of lovely stitching Suzanne. Beautiful gift from Gwen and your stitching (and the RR) are just gorgeous!

KarenV said...

Gorgeous exchange from Gwen, that's such a pretty design and beautifully stitched and finished. Glad the customs people didn't damage it when they checked it over!

Your RR is gorgeous and I love the ornament you made, very cute!

Dani - tkdchick said...

What a lovely little pillow. I wonder if it would of helped putting on the custom tag that the pillow was stuffed with crushed walnut shells?

That ornament you finished turned out very nice despite bieng a pain.

Your RR is just beautiful!!!

Ranae said...

Love the BBD pinkeep
The RR is beautiful
Sweet wishes for Aurelia's 4th birthday

Kathy A. said...

Your RR is absolutely beautiful. I have watched photos of these pieces as they travelled and yours is the first finished one I have seen. What a treasure.

Berit said...

Lovely! How great that customs didn't destroy your exchange!! :D

Lynn said...

Thank goodness you were able to stitch your cushion back together again. You never know what will happen when things pass through customs.
Your RR is absolutely beautiful! You must be thrilled. I don't have any tips for your ornament. I haven't done enough of them to help. I think it's so cute though!
Happy birthday wishes to Aurelia!

Brigitte said...

The exchange piece from Gwen is a little gem. So lovely. I love the design and once I received a needlebook in an exchange with this design, too.
Your RR is just great, I love the colour version of this design very much.
And oh, what a nice little angel ornament for Aurelia. I can imagine that you had a hard time finishing it. I have never made an ornament of a similar shape, so I can't give you any advice.

Lois said...

What a lovely little pillow. Good to hear that they took extra care with it at customs and appreciated the work that had gone into it.

Love your completed RR - just beautiful. Love your Noel ornament. The finishing looks great! I've looked at this one a couple of times but the thought of trying to finish that shape just keeps me moving it down the list!

Birthday wishes to Aurelia - turning 4 is such a wonderful time!

Carol R said...

I'm glad your Emblem of Love has returned home - it looks wonderful - yours was my favourite to stitch on - the colours are gorgeous!

I always finish my ornaments right sides out but I've never tried such an odd-shaped one as your angel. It's lovely!

Sally said...

What a gorgeous pillow from Gwen. Glad that customs were careful with it.

Beautiful ornament. I've never done one shaped like that before. It is so pretty.

Emblem of Love is stunning. Everyone did a fantastic job on it.

Happy Birthday Aurelia!

Lili said...

I think you've done great with the Noel ornie. I've wanted to stitch it since I first saw him but the finishing have always put me off...
Emblem of love is amazing.
Gwen's pillow is just too beautiful. I love it!

Sonda in OR said...

Wow! I didn't realize that what something was stuffed with could make a difference. So glad it made it thru to you unspoiled because it is beautiful. Love your Emblem of Love piece. What a treasure.

Siobhan said...

What beautiful stitching! I love the exchange piece (glad it got to you, finally!) and the ornament. The RR is fantastic! I love that design.