Friday, 17 September 2010

Never An Idle Moment

This post has been a long time coming. My DH purchased a new computer for me, so this last week has been spent getting it to how I like it and making sure that all my software is loaded and works correctly. I am very behind on my blog reading and posting. But I am sure that I will get back on top of it this coming week.

My order for my birthday arrived this week. How fun to open the package and find all this. I received some excellent service from the ONS that I ordered from. They were able to get a number of items for me that were not on their website.


With my DH back, I have a photo of the great items be brought back for me from Japan. I love all those Japanese bowls and these ones have a cute little cat on them and the bottom of the bowls has the cat paw prints. My DH very kindly searched in many bookstores for a few crochet books I was after. Although they are in Japanese, the diagrams are in standard international format and quite easy to follow. I have done a little research and discovered what various different symbols mean, so they make much better sense now. If anyone is interested in more information, just contact me as I have a little cheat document to help decipher these Japanese patterns.

I would like to show you what I had stitched for Ronel in the Friends Through Thread Little House Needlework exchange.


Design: Necessities Sampler
Designer: Little House Needleworks
Fabric: 32ct Belfast linen - Ecru
Thread: DMC
Finish: Pillow

Although my DH had been away, I didn't stop stitching. In actual fact, as the house had been cleaner than usual I had been stitching, knitting and crocheting more than ever before.

My knitting skills are a little ordinary, so I have decided to start knitting a basic throw. Each square teaches a different skill. I have finished three squares, but I am trying not to look too closely at them. I know that I am improving with each square and discovering my mistakes, but they still look a little rough. The only problem I can't seem to work out is why my yarn is getting all twisted up. I have tried taking the yarn from the centre of the ball and then the outside with no difference. I have checked that I am doing all my stitches correctly, so what am I doing wrong?


I have also decided to do the same kind of throw, but in crochet instead, so here is my first square.

I have lots more stitching progress, but that's for another post.

24 comments:

Lesleyanne said...

Wow that some birthday stash. It looks great - can't wait to see your progress. Lovely stitching for the LHN exchange. I can't comment on the stitching or crocheting as I can't do either but it looks great to me.

KarenV said...

Great stash! Your exchange is lovely too, nice finish.

Your knitted squares look fine from here - I'm not a knitting expert though, so hopefully someone can help you on the twisting issue.

Vinniey said...

Happy belated birthday! Great stash, Suzanne! Your stitching for LHN exchange is looking great, Suzanne! I bought two Japanese crocheting magazines and love their diagrams very much, I have learned some new patterns although I can't read Japanese. :) Enjoyed your new computer. Happy stitching and crocheting.

Jackie said...

Great birthday stash! I missed getting the JCS Christmas preview issue and need to track it down.

The yarn issue - I have the same thing. When I pull from the inside the ball kind of collapses on itself and gets a bit tangled up. I like pulling from the center. Sometimes the tangles are worse than others.

Lois said...

What wonderful birthday stash!!! You must have enjoyed opening up that package of goodies! Lovely exchange piece and your DH brought home some nice things for you.

I'm afraid I'm no help on your knitting issue but your squares are lovely.

Margaret said...

Congrats on the new computer! Love your birthday stash and the stuff from Japan too! Nice exchange piece -- love the colors! And your knitting and crocheting! very nice! I'm not an expert knitter so I don't feel qualified to give you pointers. I need to start knitting/crocheting again!

Kajsa said...

Everything is just beautiful! Happy Belated Birthday!

Melissa said...

I love that LHN piece you did! So pretty!

Lovely stash. Somebody is a BBD fan I can see! I hope there will be new designs at Market this month too!

Your DH is very clever with the stash he brought for you!

Good luck with the knitting. Sorry I can't offer any advice. You're way ahead of me!

Mylene said...

Lovely pillow you made for the exchange.

WOW! Great stash arrived and received from DH. Enjoy.

Happy weekend!

Lynn said...

Wonderful stash! I'm lovin' all those BBD.
Your DH was so sweet to pick up your crochet patterns for you. Everything looks lovely.

Jules said...

You have a wonderful husband to spend time looking for books on crochet while away! A great bunch of new goodies and your WIPs are just wonderful.

Daffycat said...

*faints* Awesome birthday stash! And the pressies from Japan are wonderful! Lucky you!

Aussie Stitcher said...

Great stash Suzanne, I love the little cat bowls, too cute. I do knit but I don't know why your yarn is twisting, sorry!!

Berit said...

Wonderful stash! I also have some Japanese crochet books, but haven't looked at them in a while; I remember them being easy to understand, but if you have some awesome cheat sheet I'd love to see it. :D (My Japanese is only moderate at best.)

My knitting is even more ordinary that yours-- I "specialize" in more or less wonky dishcloths, but someday hope to make socks. :) Sorry I can't help more!

Margaret said...

Great post Suzanne. Wonderful new stash and your husband certainly spoiled you with lovely gifts from Japan.

Happy belated birthday.

Carol R said...

A Happy Birthday Suzanne - not sure if I'm early or late though! Great stash haul. Love those little Japanese bowls with the paw prints and a very pretty LHN pillow you did for Ronel. Your knitted and crochet squares are lovely. Wow such a long post!

Sally said...

Wonderful stash! Love the Japanese bowls too.

What a lovely LHN pillow you made for Ronel.

I can't help you with your yarn issue as I'm not a knitter. I used to be but it's a long time ago. I keep saying I'm going to start again.

Brigitte said...

Oh Suzanne, a great blog post. I love the knitted and crocheted squares and I love the beautiful exchnage piece you made for Ronel. And wow, a veeeery nice amount of new stash. There's some BBD stitching coming up in the future, lol.

Siobhan said...

Your knitting is fantastic! Good for you--nice working on it. I'd love to be more handy at it myself--I can only manage the wonky beginner stitch--and I don't even know the name of it! LOL

Great job on the piece you did for Ronel--lovely finishing, too!

GREAT new stash! Love the gifts from your DH, too.

Wendy said...

Great stash! I wish someone would bring me stuff back from Japan! I love your idea for a knitted blanket from squares. I've been collecting knitting stitches from the internet but have yet to put them to use, this could be an ideal project (if you don't mind me stealing your idea - full credit to you of course). How big are you making the squares?

Dani - tkdchick said...

Congrats on the new comptuer! There's nothign I love more than taking the time to set up/get going with a new computer!

What a lovely exchange you stitched up.

I LUV those bowls your hubby picked up in Japan!

Kathy A. said...

What a wonderful pile of birthday stash. Belated but warm birthday wishes.
Oh how lovely to work with a new computer. Everything seems to run so much smoother.
What wonderful treats your DH brought back from Japan. Very thoughtful man you have there.

Marlene said...

I love the japanase craft books, between myself and my oldest daughter we have loads,

Margit said...

I am sorry that I missed your birthday but here it is:
HAPPY BIRTHDAY dear Suzanne!
What wonderful birthday gifts you got! Did you buy the whole store? *smile*
The LHN exchange pillow is adorable! Wonderful stitching and finish!
You knitted and crochet squares are very pretty also.
I am in love with the BBD from your previous post!!!