Sunday, 20 February 2011

WIP Finishes!!

Firstly I would like to show you the cutest PIF Sonda sent. It arrived last week and being the slacker that I am, took this long to post to my blog. What a lovely surprise I had, I love autumn designs and colours and this piece is no exception. It's a part of the Autumn Band Sampler by Elizabeth Designs. Thank you Sonda, I love this piece and have already put it on display.


I have a confession to make, I did a naughty thing. Last weekend I put a massive order in to my favourite ONS for the new With My Needle - Miss Trenner's Needlework Academy Limited Edition Kit. I also purchased the scissors and thread winders to go with it, all the thread, the new Blackbird Designs book and several other charts, fibres and accessories. I figured that if I didn't order the Limited Edition kit, I would regret the decision and kick myself afterwards. Besides, it's probably the last order I will make until well after the baby is born. Well that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

I managed to get a few of my WIP's out of the way. The first is Aurelia's Christmas ornament from last year. I still need to finish it, but at least the stitching part is complete.


Design: Little Angel In The Clouds
Designer: Heart In Hand
Fabric: 32ct Belfast linen - Dirty linen
Thread: Gentle Art, Weeks Dye Works & DMC

The next piece I finished stitching is the pincushion design from Carriage House Samplings. I purchased some black velvet to back this piece and I plan to coffee stain the piece before assembling. I hope that it all turns out how I picture it in my head. I am going to use the contents of my ort jar to stuff it, but will probably have to add some fibre-fill to bulk it up.


Design: Folk Art Pincushion
Designer: Carriage House Samplings
Fabric: 40ct Newcastle linen - White
Thread: DMC

 I decided to get another WIP out of the way. This is a biscornu I started way back, perhaps the year before last and never got around to finishing it. I was after a frog button or bead for the top of the biscornu, but I just couldn't find what I was after. In the end I had to settle for the pink button instead.



Design: Frog Biscornu (freebie)
Designer: Casey Buonaugurio
Fabric: 28ct Jobelan - Mushroom
Thread: DMC

I spent some more time on Hannah Lancaster as well. You may not see the progress, but I filled a lot of the house in and started on the roof. I am now trying to work across the top of the piece.


I put a few more stitches into my hardanger piece as well and finished the second part of class two. Progress was slow as I was finding the bars a little difficult to wrap. The thread kept bunching up and I had to re-wrap the bar again and again. I have outlined the edge of where I have to start cutting for part three of the class, the Lacy Buttonhole Edge.


I have also completed another block of my Red Thread piece from Bent Creek. Aurelia was at me to attach the snaps to the piece, so we attached all that we could for the time being. I am not sure that I like the snaps, but they do finish each block. I am now down to only three blocks to go. I think I will concentrate on getting the border caught up to the blocks before stitching any more blocks.


I also completed the two PIFs which are ready to post out on this week and the reindeer ornament for the Hooked On Exchanging ornament exchange has already gone out. I will post pictures of these as they are received.

The made a new start with a freebie from Carriage House Samplings and it's called My Love I Give To Thee. As I started stitching using the recommended DMC, I wasn't so sure about the colours, but now the lady is finished I am happier with them.


I have been working on a number of other pieces as well, but I needed to reduce the size of my post. I will share them on a later post. I have a few other new starts lined up, but I need to build up the courage to cut my fat quarters of linen to the correct size. I am always looking at the best way to cut, so I can optimise the remaining fabric for future projects. (It's the engineer in me and I can't help it!)

Finally I don't think that I have shown this piece to you. I am crocheting a blanket for the baby. It's Granny's Baby Throw and a free design on the Lion Brand website. I am using pure Australian wool (Cleckheaton Country 8ply) for this project and chose colours that closely matched those on the website. I have almost completed three of the four blocks. So I am pretty confident that this will be completed before the baby is born.

26 comments:

Sylvia said...

Wow, lots of great WIPs - good for you getting a nice order of stash in - that Limited Edition is very, very nice.

Jackie said...

You've been busy! Lots of beautiful projects and some great finishes. There's nothing wrong to adding to the stash! :)

Margaret said...

Wow! You've been really busy! I love all your finishes and projects! And the new stash -- good going! I think one can tell when one is going to regret not buying something and it sounds like you definitely needed to put this order in. Stashing up for the baby's arrival is a good thing too imo. :D

Dianne said...

beautiful stitching! Hannah is gorgeous...and will be amazing when she's all done!!!

Nancy said...

Lovely Autumn gift you received. I love the satin stitched pumpkins! Everything you have finished or are working on is so pretty! Isn't it a good feeling to finish WIPs!

Ranae said...

Pretty PIF from Sonda
You have many fabulous finishes and WIP's too.
The froggy biscornu is too cute.
I love to crochet granny squares, they are my favotite. Your color choices are so pretty

Melody said...

Wow, you have been busy!

Kathy A. said...

Wow, those fingers have sure been busy. I love the frog biscornu. I have stitched up that one and loved it.
I do have some frog buttons if you are still interested. Send me an email at drewsgrands@hotmail.com and I will send them off!!!
You are expecting? I must have missed that post. Congratulations.

Lynn said...

Wow, I don't where you find the time to get everything completed especially with two little ones at home! Your WIP are fabulous! I'm especially partial to Hannah Lancaster. Your biscornu is sooo cute too.
Your PIF gift is really lovely. I'm a big fan of autumn as well.
And that baby blanket is going to be awesome!

Julianne said...

Suzanne,

You have really made up for lost time! LOL It sounds like the special edition With My Needle kit is going to be really lovely! I think it's great that you treated yourself to it. I really look forward to seeing your talented hands bring it to life.

Your new start looks adorable and I think it's great that Aurelia is taking such an interest in your stitching.

Your baby afghan is going to be really lovely.

Take care.

valerie said...

Great PIF from Sonda! You're been really busy! Love the stitching and knitting you're been doing. I like the idea for your pincushion...it will look fantastic!o

Melissa said...

You've been busy Suzanne! Love all the stitching! You're right on buy the Limited Edition things while they're here. I think they're almost sold out!

Hannah is looking especially grand!

Teresa S. said...

WOW! Your needles have been smoking! I love all your progress but especially your new stash haul :)

sampler lover said...

Hi Suzanne, yes you have certainly been busy and all that you have done is lovely.
Sonda's gift is really lovely. - Sandra.

Ellen said...

Wow, beautiful finishes and wips!

Love your new stash order, I have also put in some orders myself. Cannot resist all that gorgeous new releases!

Hugs,

Lisa V said...

All such lovely finishes. You have been busy!
LISA V

mbroider said...

Great pics of your projects! The Hannah project looks enormous!!!

Cheryl said...

Wow, so many lovely things i dont know what to comment on!! Its all lovely! You seem to have your stitching mojo back anyway :-)

Sally said...

Wow you have been busy and it all looks gorgeous.

Good for you placing an order!

Lovely PIF from Sonda.

Brigitte said...

Wow, you are the girl with the smoking needles these days. So many wonderful finishes, congratualtions! And some fabulous WIPs where you can easily see that it must be a lot of fun to stitch them.

Elaine said...

So many lovely finishes and wips, you have been busy!

Mylene said...

wow! You sure been busy! That is sure a lovely PIF received and congrats on all your finishes as well as progress made on the WIP's ones.
Lovely colours you are using for the blanket.

Siobhan said...

I like the sound of that stash order!! I always figure that new stash isn't for ME, necessarily; after all, the items I stitch will be used to decorate the house, so therefore I'm just doing a service for my family. ;)

Lovely WIP progress and finishes! You've got such lovely things on the go. Love the baby blanket, too!

RuthB said...

Is that smoke I see coming off your needles? And, what's this you say, there's more but you didn't want to overwhelm us with the size of your post? OH dearie me.

Congrats on all the fine stashing and the outstanding stitching!

Farm Girl said...

Lovely Suzanne - You have been so busy - are you still sleeping at night?? lol
It's always an exciting feeling waiting for stash to arrive - sounds like you've made an epic order!

Susan said...

You've been busy, Suzanne - I love all your WIPs; that biscornu is adorable, and I love the PIF you received.

It sounds like you've got some nice stash coming, too - I've been eyeing the BBD book myself. I'd love to know what you think of it when you receive it.

Have a wonderful week!