Thursday, 24 March 2011

Cash for Stash

It's been a while since my last post, but I have been busy organising a yard sale. Last Saturday we finally had our yard sale that we have been waiting for a long time to get done. Happily most of the items have gone and that pile of junk that has been haunting us for many years has vanished. My house feels like it's gone back to normal and the backyard is no longer cluttered. The best part is that I now have a tidy little sum for some stash purchase. (My DH was more than happy for me to use the cash to buy stash) I don't think I need anything yet, so I will put it aside and spoil myself after the baby is born.

In other news, I am happy to say that Lisa received the PIF I stitched for her. We won't talk about how long it took me to send, suffice to say that it is done.


Design: English Cottage Sampler Ornament (freebie)
Designer: Teresa Wentzler
Fabric: 28ct Zweigart Jobelan - White
Thread: DMC, Mill Hill Beads
Finish: Pincushion


First I have to apologise for the next lot of photos, they have been taken with my point and shoot (by me) and I have not pressed any of my stitching.

As I mentioned in my last post, I had lots of new starts and was close to a finish. Here is is the new start and finish that I was able to get done. I stitched this piece up whilst my DH was away in Japan and I personalised it with our initials. My DH got back from Japan less than 24 hours before the first earthquake hit.


Design: My Love I Give Thee
Designer: Barrick Samplers
Fabric: 32ct Belfast Linen - Ecru
Thread: DMC

I finally finished Amelie's Christmas ornament from last year. I used a piece of Green Mountain linen that I picked up on eBay a while ago. It's a shame that this linen is no longer available, it's such a lovely soft linen to work on. I now have quite a bit of finishing to get done. I think I will probably need an entire weekend to get all the pillows and ornaments finished. Now I have to start to concentrate on this years ornaments, I have to remember that I will need to get three finished this year.


Design: Visions Of Sugar Plums
Designer: Country Cottage Needleworks (2009 JCS Ornament Issue)
Fabric: 32ct Green Mountain linen - unknown colour
Thread: DMC

I don't know what came over me in the last few weeks, but I had this incredible urge to start new projects, and lots of them. So let me show you where I am up to with them.

First of all here is Eliza Sloan by The Goode Huswife I started. I love the dark colours of this one and because I am stitching it on 32ct it almost has this rustic feel to it. I think it will make a really nice lumpy old style type pillow once I finish and stain it.


Next I had been reading about so many people's progress on Mary Glover that Emmanuelle had so kindly offered on her blog. I signed up for the SAL and then went into my stash to see what fabric I had. I found the prefect piece of 40ct linen already cut to the exact size, so the deal was done. I am a little behind everyone, but I am steadily catching up. Although with the over one verse, 40ct may not have been the best choice, it's taking forever to stitch.


While I was stitching Amelie's ornament, on the opposite page in the JCS magazine, is a photo of this beautiful redwork pillow in an old issue of Sampler & Antique Needlework Quarterly magazine. Well, you know how it is, if you look at a design long enough, the temptation to start it is great. Thankfully my friend Sandra came to the rescue and this is another piece I have started.


Finally I decided to make a new crochet blanket for my girls. The first one will be for Amelie, because I made Aurelia one a long time ago, although now she doesn't like it anymore and wants one just like Amelie's. I had purchased some Heirloom Magic Merino is twelve colours and then decided that twelve colours was not enough and purchased another twelve colours. The plan is to make eighty of these flowers and not have one the same colour combination. I am keeping track of the wool usage so that I use the same amount from each ball and that I am using a different colour combination each time. The photo only shows the flowers with two colours, once the flowers are all completed, I need to choose an additional colour to join each together as I go. It will certainly be a very bright and colourful blanket. The pattern is by Knitwhits and it's called Amelie's Throw.



Last night I pulled out my Blackbird Designs Mystery Sampler and stitched a little more. It looked odd and I just couldn't pick what was wrong with it. Then I realised I have stitched the door in the wrong place. I threw it down in disgust and it will probably be another week before I decide to pick it up again.


Now I have to make a confession. I am making a new start with Cheryl this weekend. Cheryl and I are going to stitch the Carriage House Samplings Alphabet Blocks together in a SAL. We are not setting ourselves an impossible goal, just one block a month. See I told you something has got into me!

18 comments:

Lois said...

What nice finishes and you've got some lovely WIP's on the go! Good luck with your new SAL. I love those alphabet blocks.

Cheryl said...

Wow, you sure have got your stitching mojo back! Where do you find the time? Do you sleep?! ;-) I LOVE those crotchet flowers, id really like to learnt to crotchet...one day maybe!
It'll be fun to SAL with you, i have posted a picture on my blog of my start this weekend x

Margaret said...

I'm glad the yard sale was a success and you have play money now. :D And that your DH was home before the disaster in Japan struck. It's so sad, isn't it? I love all your stitching! Very nice! Too bad about the door being in the wrong place on the BBD piece. The crochet blankets will be so pretty!

Teresa S. said...

I am impressed at how much you have got accomplished! A yard sale and all this stitching-looks great!

Deb said...

Thank goodness your husband made it back before the earthquake. You know God had to be watching out for him. My husband almost got trapped in New York on 9-11 - his plane was cancelled the night before. Luckily, he was able to find a late flight out on another airline. I hate to imagine what it would have been like to have been involved in that - or your husband having to go through the earthquake. Makes you happy that they're being watch over.

I can't believe all the stitching you're getting done with trying to organize a yard sale. Those are a lot of work.

Kathy A. said...

I am happy to hear that your DH made it home before the earthquake.
Your stitching progresses are wonderful. There is nothing wrong with all those lovely new starts. Each is beautiful and I can definitely see the attraction.
Cheryl and I are SALing as well. It is really enjoyable to stitch this way.

Ranae said...

Well, Gosh! you have been a productive little busy bee
Everything looks great.
I love the crocheted flowers

Barbara J said...

Thanks for coming by my blog and leaving a comment. You sure have plenty of WIPs too! As good as it feels to finish a project, it's just as good to start one :)

You are a brave one with 1/1 on 40ct! Salute! I just finished Part 3 and have started on Part 5. Will get back to Part 4 later as the frame was already mounted ... yeah I'm lazy ...

Dani - tkdchick said...

Wow Suzanne you have been so busy! Everything looks awesome, I love the little beaded corners on your TW ornament I'll have to try that sometime!

Rowyn said...

Wow, you've been such a busy little camper. I love all your stitchy starts and your crochet flowers.

So glad to hear that your DH was not involved in the Japanese earthquake.

Farm Girl said...

Holy smokes - you have been so busy! Love the new starts - and as for the crochet flowers - I think I feel a new hobby coming on - everywhere I look at the moment there is the most stunning crochet. Your blanket is going to be beautiful!

Sally said...

Wow you have been very busy and everything looks fantastic!

Siobhan said...

OH MY GOSH!!! What an amazing array of eye candy, Suzanne! Your finishes are beautiful and your WIPs are just as stunning. Everything is just wonderful. I'm so glad to hear that your DH is home, safe and sound.

Crazee4books said...

Dear Suzanne,

After reading about all your
current WIPs, the cross stitch
projects that you couldn't resist starting, plus the crochet blankets for the girls I have to confess
that I felt the need to lay down!
Is this another manifestation of
pregnancy hormones that I've never
heard of before??

Your PIF for Lisa is so lovely
and such a dainty, delicate
looking design. I'm sure that
Lisa will think it well worth
the wait.

I love all the pretty colors
that you're stitching Mary
Glover with. It's looking
beautiful and you're making
great progress on it. Hope
that the over one verse is
only two lines long. It does
look great though.

Eliza Sloan is sort of the
opposite to Mary Glover in
that the letters are all in
darker shades of color but
it's looking great too.

Sugar Plums is sweet and will
be a delightful ornament when
it's finished. Very cute design.

I'm glad to hear that your DH
was not in Japan when that
awful quake hit. Such an
incredibly sad and tragic time
for that country and it's
people.

Yard sales are a lot of work
but once it's in full swing it's
also lots of fun, and the money
made selling off the clutter
from your house doesn't hurt
either. A great way to earn
funds for stash!! Have fun
deciding what to buy!!

Cheers!

Von said...

You've been a busy girl! Love seeing all your new projects and wish I could get myself stitching again. Life has gotten a little out of control lately. :D

KaLu - Claudia said...

i am so behind on blog reading!!!

i love love love Amelie's ornament maybe i'll get around to stitching it for alondra one day

ive been getting the "itch" to start new projects but my conscience just wont let me since i have so many on the go, but maybe thats why my mojo has gone MIA lately

I cant wait to see the girls blanket! the colors look so pretty together, im sure they will love it

Aussie Stitcher said...

I love seeing people start new projects, in the hope that it stops me having even more wipe LOL! I love the blanket no doubt it will be cherished. I am glad that your hubby left Japan before the tragedy occured, I feel so sorry for what they are going through. I hope that all is going well with your pregnancy, take care.

Lynn said...

Oh wow, you have some gorgeous new starts Suzanne. I loved all the variety.
I'm so glad that your husband made it home when he did. You must be so thankful.
Congrats on a successful garage sale. Well earned stash cash!