Sunday, 3 April 2011

A Day of Foraging

Last Sunday we took the girls up into the mountains to pick some chestnuts and apples. It was a cool and drizzly day, but we had a wonderful time. Aurelia was so excited to pick the chestnuts up off the ground and was continually on the search for the biggest chestnut she could find. Everyone at the farm knew when she found one as she shouted it out at the top of her lungs.

  



After a very brief picnic on a cliff top (the weather was closing) we took a trip a little further down the mountains and did some apple and quince picking. The girls really enjoyed picking apples and munching away on them as we walked. I now have lots of yummy cooking apples ready for pie and crumble and quite a few quinces to poach and make into jam.

On the Monday, we took a trip to my LNS and I picked up the new Stacy Nash club exclusive. Our LNS will have four of these exclusive kits throughout the year and the first one is a redwork pinkeep. It is supposed to be stuffed with sawdust and then stained with walnut crystals. Then I just couldn't resist picking up the With My Needle design with the small hornbook. I think these will both be fun projects to stitch up. See the yard sale money did come in handy after all!


I made a new friend through my blog in the last few weeks. Cindy (no blog) contacted me about a chart on my wish list and sent it on to me. Cindy sent me Gingham Dog and Calico Cat by Carriage House Sampling and the chart for the letter E. Thank you so much Cindy, it was very generous of you. I am really happy  to have another stitching friend to exchange emails with.


Hopefully I will have an update on Hannah Lancaster in the next few days. I have made some really great progress on her and will have reached a minor milstone.

20 comments:

Jackie said...

It looks like a wonderful family day! I especially love the picture of your daughter with her binoculars.

KaLu - Claudia said...

i literally LOL'ed when i read the part about Aurelia ... they say "terrible two's" about they never warn people about four year olds .. i think they should =D haha

what a fun weekend for the girls

Margaret said...

Looks like everyone had fun on the expedition. That's a big chestnut! Nice stash you got too. And how nice to make a new friend and get some charts from her!

valerie said...

Sounds like a wonderful day in the mountains. And roasted chestnuts sound so yummy right now. Looks like you have some wonderful stash to fondle and how nice to make a new friend!

Ellen said...

Wow, you sure had a wonderful family day in the mountains! Love that chestnut picture. Love your stash too!

Hugs,

Marlene said...

Your time out sounded like fun, busy time for you now, cooking and stitching

Sylvia said...

What a fun day with your family - that chestnut is really big!! We have them growing wild here in the woods, and ours are so much smaller.

You picked up some fun stash.

Sally said...

Lovely photos. Looks like a fun day out :)

Nice new stash!

Deb said...

Sounds like a wonderful day out with the girls. And the scenery looks spectacular! Love the goodies you picked up from the shop too.

Lois said...

Looks like a fun day out and I love the new stash you've added from your LNS and in the mail. What a nice gift!

Rhona said...

Sounds like a great day with the girls - the pictures are amazing.

Love your new stash!

Farm Girl said...

Lovely Suzanne, your girls are the cutest! Have fun cooking up your haul. And stitching up your stash haul too!

Crazee4books said...

Hi Suzanne,

Sounds like you and your family
had a wonderful outing. Looking
for chestnuts and picking apples
are perfect Fall activities. I
love the look of chestnuts with
their shells looking as though
they've been carved and sanded,
stained and polished by a master
carpenter. I've never eaten one
though ... in spite of the
Christmas song about "chestnuts
roasting by an open fire".

The fate of your new store of
cooking apples does sound like
something I'd happily devour at
a moments notice. I love apple
crumble but my DH prefers pie
with a pastry shell. I've
never eaten Quinces either.
Are they sweet? Tangy?

The photo taken from your
picnic spot is breathtaking.
And the heavy, dark clouds
just gives the picture more
depth and atmosphere. Love
it.

Lovely new stash you've got
there! And how nice of Cindy
to send you two of those charts.
I really like that "Gingham Dog"
one. Very pretty and colorful.

Cheers!

Kathy A. said...

Great photos of the girls!
I have a couple of those alphabet charts if you are interested?

Dani - tkdchick said...

Suzanne, what wonderful shots you got of your day out and your girls, just adorable!

Lovely new stash from the LNS and Cindy!

Siobhan said...

Beautiful shots of your day out! I have wonderful memories of going apple picking with my family. I'm glad to hear about another family who enjoys it. :)

Nice stash enhancement!

Katherine said...

Those chestnuts are magnificent looking!

Aussie Stitcher said...

Looks like you had a wonderful day out, love the photos. There are some lovely additions to your stash.

Andrea said...

That's the biggest chestnut I've ever seen! :)

Cute pics of your kiddos! Looks like you all had a good time.

How nice of your friend to grant you with some wishes! I love those charts and have them in my stash to do someday. You have great taste in stitching :-)

xo

Mylene said...

Thanks for sharing pictures of your day,beautiful!

Lovely charts you received recently.