Wednesday, 27 July 2011

Life Has Ground To A Halt

I would like to thank everyone who left such kind comments on my blog and sent congratulatory emails. I have replied to everyone that I could and if I missed you I am sorry.


Things are not going as smoothly as I had hoped with Felix. He is not the greatest of sleepers and refuses to lay down in his bed most of the time. For the last six weeks at home I have basically held him in my arms during the day and most of the night and I don't have more than a couple of hours of sleep. I haven't touched my stitching since I left hospital, I am really starting to get withdrawal symptoms. I am not getting much done each day as Felix won't lay down in his rocker and hates the baby carrier and sling that I purchased. I get just a few things done each day and on the weekend my DH looks after him and the children while I get the house cleaned. In a way cleaning is a enjoyable thing as I get a little exercise and get moving about.

I realised that my DH hadn't given many details about Felix, so here they are.



Felix Remington
7 June 2011
3440g (7lb 9oz)    50cm


The week before Felix was born, I didn't get any stitching done, but I did do a lot of crochet. Here are all the pieces I made that week.


Design: Easy Chunky Beanie with Texture
Designer: Sarah Belcher (Ravelry)
Yarn: Patons Wilderness - 70% Wool, 20% Acrylic, 10% Viscose (Colour 0505)
Hook Size: 6mm/US J


Design: Patterned Beanie Hat
Designer: The Art Of Crochet Series - Issue 10
Yarn: Moda Vera Pure Wool 8 Ply (Colours 50, 04. 02, 01)
Hook Size: 3.5mm/US E and 4mm/US 6


Design: Scallop Crochet Scarf
Designer: Lion Brand
Yarn: Panda Magnum - 100% Acrylic (Colour 4602)
Hook Size: 4mm/US 6


Design: Margaret's Hat
Designer: Lion Brand
Yarn: Panda Magnum - 100% Acrylic (Colour 4602)
Hook Size: 4mm/US 6


Here is a scarf I threw together using a bunch of textured yarns. I am not really sure what the yarns are, but I made 150 ch, then each row is a row of dc (sc US) in a different yarn. Super easy! 


I am happy to say that Jill finally received her PIF I sent oh so long ago. I sent it months ago and then it came back just after Felix was born and then I sent it again, but this time with success. So here is the little piece I stitched.


Design: Carnations
Designer: The Prairie Schooler
Fabric: 32ct Belfast - Sand
Thread: DMC
Finish: Pinkeep

Now the only craft I have been able to do has been crochet, usually when Felix is feeding or asleep on my lap. Here is my latest project; I have completed one for Amelie and I am currently working on one for Aurelia. This one was a little bit of a challenge sewing together as all the stripes had to match up perfectly. By the way I left off the snowflake on this as there enough going on already.



 
Design: Snowflake Hot Water Bottle Cover (without the snowflake)
Designer: The Art Of Crochet Series - Issue 14
Yarn: Moda Vera Pure Wool 8 Ply (Colours 50, 04. 02, 01, 54, 08)
Hook Size: 4mm/US 6

30 comments:

Patty C. said...

The work displayed is lovely & so is the baby ;)

Congratulations !!!!!

I have 4 children - Hang in there - Eventually he will sleep.

Siobhan said...

Oh my gosh, what a gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous baby!! And we share the same birthday... okay, I'm just 20 years (ahem--okay, give or take a decade or two) older, but still. ;) I hope life settles down for you. My son was the same way--both girls were easy peasy, happy out as they say here, but my son cried constantly. At about 4 months old, he stopped & went with the flow. Hang in there--as Patty said, it does get better! Felix's big sisters are equally as gorgeous, btw. :)

Lovely projects!

Lisa V said...

What a cutie!
Hopefully he will settle for you soon and you can have some free time.
Hugs
LISA V

Jackie said...

You have a beautiful family!

Those first few weeks are tough. Most babies will settle down and get some sleep eventually. For my son, it wasn't until he was 7 weeks old that he started sleeping more than 3 hours.

Marlene said...

Beautiful little baby and girls, he will settle and life will return to some sort of normal.

Joanie said...

The pic of your girls and Felix is adorable! I empathize with you, my DS, Mike, was the same way as Felix. It took quite awhile for us to adjust but eventually I could put him in his bouncy and he was quite content. He never napped though. Ever.

Your crochet pieces are adorable. Hang in there, it does get better!

Margaret said...

Ugh. I hope Felix settles down soon-- that doesn't sound like much fun. He sure is a cutie though -- that face! So adorable! On those weekend breaks that your DH gives you, you should take some time out and stitch. I understand the withdrawal. Love your crochet pieces, especially that scarf!

marly said...

Your precious Felix and your girls are beautiful. Poor little guy doesn't feel right lying down! Poor mom! Hopefully you will get some rest soon. Your crocheted pieces are great.

Sally said...

Felix is so cute and your girls are so pretty. You have a lovely little family. I hope Felix settles soon so you can get some much needed rest and also time for yourself to stitch.

Love your crocheted pieces.

Nicole said...

Awe, he's adorable!! Congrats!! Matthew was like that when he was born. He wanted to be held all the time. I missed my stitching too! :) But it doesn't last, they grow out of that stage. I say, just enjoy the snuggling now! :) I know how hard it is though! I have three boys. And my baby just turned 5. :)

Melissa said...

Felix is a cutie! I love that photo with the girls holding him - very adorable!

Sorry to hear he's fussy. As the other moms say - hang in there, it will pass soon!

Valerie said...

Felix is gorgeous...or should I say, very handsome? Well, both as far as I am concerned! I hope life settles down for you soon...especially little Felix!

Your crocheting is stunning...I love the water bottle cover!

I hope rest and a little stitching are in your future soon...

valerie said...

The photo of the girls with Felix is adorable and Felix is so cute! I hope he gets to sleeping a little more regular to give you some alone time. The items you've crocheted are really pretty and I love the ornie you sent off. I am so glad it was recovered and arrived safely to its destination!

Lynn said...

Felix is so adorable! I love the photo taken with the girls.
Every child is different and some need more cuddling than others. My second son was the one who didn't sleep much and wanted to be held all the time. It shouldn't be much longer though before he sleeps and you have more time to yourself.
Your crocheted works are fabulous!! I wish I had someone nearby to teach me.

Deb said...

Oh my goodness, do I remember the days when my son was that age. He had colic and would not be put down for anyting. I feel your pain!! Excitement during that time was handing him to my husband when he got home from work and hitting the drug store of all places just to see normal people! LOL But hopefully things will settle down for him. He is simply adorable - no other words will describe him!

Kathy said...

Congratulations on your darling gorgeous baby boy! Felix is simply adorable.
I do hope in the next few weeks that he settles down and begins to sleep better for you. :( He is just too cute to be such a fusspot. :) Tell him we said so. Momma needs her stitching time. LOL
Love all your crochet pieces. Just lovely.

samplerlover said...

Hi Suzanne, how are you going. Felix is a really beautiful baby as are his Sisters. Hopefully he will settle down for you soon and you will be able to get back to your sewing. Your crochet work is beautiful.

Ellen said...

Felix is so adorable! The girls are sweet too!

Hope he settles down soon so that you can go back to your stitching. Your crochet is beautiful!

Hugs,

Katrina said...

Hi Suzanne, thanks for sharing these beautiful pics of Felix and the girls too :) Your crocheting is just lovely, I especially like the hot water covers. Best wishes, Katrina

Nancy said...

Felix is such a cute baby, and your girls are cute too! My second child was like Felix, not happy unless being held...this lasted until she was 4 months old and then she became such a good baby...just like someone flipped a switch on her. So hang in there he will come around. Lovely crocheted pieces!

Carol said...

Oh, what a darling family you have. The girls look so proud of their little brother. Your sweet Felix sounds a lot like my firstborn son--he finally calmed down after a few month, but is still the most restless of the three--even at 29! I hope you can get a stitching "fix" soon--that will surely help a bit :)

Farm Girl said...

Your little man is so gorgeous! I have been thinking of you and wondering how the early days have been going. I do hope Felix settles down for you soon, and that you can get some rest. A good sleep will make such a difference to both you and Felix! Hugs to you, take care, Nicky

Mylene said...

Lovely pic of the girls and ohh Felix so adorable!
Beautiful crochet pieces!!

mbroider said...

Lovely pic of your girls with Felix...

Felix looks so cute and cuddly!!

Lois said...

What a sweetheart though I'm sorry he's so unsettled. Hopefully he'll decide soon that he'd really like to sleep a bit more and give you a bit more time. What a lovely pic of him with his sisters. Great pics of your finished knitting and crochet and what a lovely PIF you stitched.

KarenV said...

Felix (and his sisters) are gorgeous, as are all your finishes! I do hope that things settle down for you soon and you can get back to some kind of routine.

Cheryl said...

Suzanne i can completely relate! Caleb was exactly the same when he was a baby. It was really hard going. Hope things improve soon. Felix is gorgeous!
I have not stitched in months either, life is just crazy at the moment.

Jaimie said...

Felix is beautiful! You know it's funny, my third was a demanding little thing too. Melissa had colic and screamed for hours each day and would not sleep in her crib, swing, or anywhere. But don't lose hope because it will end. For Melissa it just turned off like a switch and she turned into a happy baby. I'm sure little Felix will too.
Your hats and other stitching are just lovely, make sure you take pictures of him in them.
In the meantime try to get some rest. I know, I know, easier said than done!

Susan said...

Congratulations, and welcome to the world, Felix! He's such a little cutiepie! I'm sorry that I'm so far behind on my blog reading, and that I'm only commenting now! :(

I'm sorry that Felix isn't sleeping well. I hope he gets into a routine soon. {{{hugs}}}

Aussie Stitcher said...

I hope that Felix starts to settle down for you soon. He is gorgeous. You were certainly busy with all of the crocheting before he came, I love the hot water bottle covers. Look after yourself ((((HUGS))))