Thursday, 8 March 2012

An Exchange In Red

Thanks for all the kind comments with regards to the flooding. We are a street back from the river, but quite a few metres higher than the top of the river bank. For us to flood we would have had to have a record breaking flood.

Once again it is raining! I had a quick look at the rain statistics for the year and found that since the first of January we have already had 70% of our annual average rainfall. Considering we haven't even made it through a quarter of a year, that's a lot of rain with more to come.

Anyway, I can't really complain, considering there are many people around the state who have been evacuated from their homes because of the flooding and many more evacuations to come. At the moment there is an area bigger than the country of France currently under flood in this state.

On a happy note, the other day this beautiful exchange arrived from Nancy for the Stitch Red For The Heart exchange on the Friends Through Thread blog. Nancy chose a beautiful design by Trillium Creates and stitched it using threads by Victoria Motto. It's just so pretty, so thank you again Nancy.


I have been working on the Blackbird Designs Mystery sampler I put aside some time ago. I finished the house and stitched more of the vine these past few days and last night until the power went out. I don't know what it is about me and houses, but they are my nemesis. Now that the majority of the stitching is out of the way, the rest should stitch up pretty quickly. I am a little disappointed by the colour of the house. The Roasted Marshmallow was a little more creamy brown than white and doesn't stand out against the fabric as much as I would like. I can't say that I like stitching on 30ct fabric, the stitching has too much of a rustic look to it.

21 comments:

samplerlover said...

Beautiful stitching. Nancy red work is really lovely. Heard that you are in a declared disaster zone today. Wonder when all this rain is going to stop. Heard that April is going to be wetter. Surely it couldn't be wetter than what we have. Did you see the photos of the spiders in Wagga Wagga. Holy cow. All the webs everywhere looked like it had snowed.- Sandra

Margaret said...

Love your stitching -- I love BBD! And lovely exchange too! That's so scary about the amount of rain you've had. We had that sort of statistics last year with our rain and snow fall totals.

Jackie said...

Your exchange piece is gorgeous! I love the red and the variegations of the red. I'm stitching on 30 count right now too (a BBD stocking) and I can't say I like it either. It feels rough. I hope you stay nice and dry!

Shirlee said...

I am glad you have escaped the flooding. Your stitchings are beautiful!

Sally said...

Nancy's stitching is beautiful. What a pretty piece she sent you.

Your BBD mystery sampler is looking gorgeous.

Nancy said...

Glad the flooding has reached you! The piece that Nancy sent is gorgeous! I love the BBD mystery sampler! I think the house is so pretty!

Ellen said...

Gorgeous exchange, love that red color! Beautiful stitching, admiring your progress on BBD mystery sampling!

Keep safe and dry!

Hugs,

milly said...

Hello

Just found your blog.

Your piece from Nancy is really lovely.

Your BBD piece is very pretty.

Dani - tkdchick said...

OMG I love anything in red! I think my new car is a testiment to that... oh and my new bowl I keep at work, yup red too... oh and my witer jacket, leather jacket... oh dear I think I could go on and on!

Deb said...

I hope that the rain stops soon. It's amazing just how much you've gotten just so far this year.

The exchange piece is beautiful - love that red thread, and I like your Mystery sampler also!

Lynn said...

Nancy's redwork exchange piece is really lovely!

I love your BBD mystery stitch but I know what you mean about the marshmallow. I quite often substitute with white when it's called for.
I'm not a big fan of the 30ct either. I'll stick to my 32ct any day.

CJ in OK ;-) said...

Your exchange gift is just lovely and I really like your stitching on the mystery piece. CJ in OK ;-)

Cheryl said...

Pretty stitching!
With all that rain you may as well be living in Scotland!

Brigitte said...

Both "red colour" exchange pieces are so beautiful. So this exchange was a success for both, you and your partner.
I'm also having recurring problems with thread colours of BBD designs. The colours on the pictures are always so different from the thread colours that I finally have in my hands. I have decided for myself to choose the threads for future BBD projects according to the picture on the chart and not to the thread list. I don't know if I'll be happier this way but at least I have tried to, lol.
I hope that the flooding in your country (I saw it on TV) will soon be finished so that no more people will be in danger to lose their homes.

Lois said...

What a lovely exchange piece received! Your BBD piece is coming along well. I've had that happen where the suggested colour seems to blend in to the fabric more than I'd like. Hopefully when the whole piece is completed you'll feel happier about it. From the picture it looks fine!

Carol said...

I'm glad you are back far enough from the river, Suzanne...I can't believe how much rain you've had so far this year!

Lovely red piece from Nancy and I look forward to seeing your BBD piece finished very soon :)

Elaine said...

Your exchange piece is lovely and your BBD is very pretty.

Mindi said...

I love your mystery sampler piece, and think the house looks great. I'm working on that exact same block, but procrastinated on the house and started with the vines.

Margaret said...

Your mystery sampler is so pretty. Don't you just stitching houses?

Your exchange piece is lovely too.

Glad to hear you were far enough back from the river during flooding.

valerie said...

Beautiful exchange! I love it when you pull out the BBD mystery sampler. This section looks amazing. It's one of the pieces on my "to stitch" list. :)

Rowyn said...

I hope things are drying out for you.

Beautiful stitching, as always.

I've lost my stitching mojo big time too. I just can't really get interested at the moment. I'm sure it will come back eventually!

I've awarded you a Liebster award, if you'd like to participate pop on over to my blog for the instructions :-)