Monday, 29 October 2012

Kit for Cabinet Course Arrives

I should have posted this back in September some time, but as usual I am late in the posting. I had been anticipating the arrival of the first kit for the Cabinet of Curiosities course from Thistle Threads to arrive. I held off all day to open the box as I didn't want to be distracted from getting the housework completed or dinner prepared. The children however could not stay away and had to have their little look in. Felix grabbed the bags of thread and ran round the kitchen waving them round his head whooping and hollering with joy. Funny little boy!!

What a wonderful surprise when I did eventually open the package. So many beautiful silk threads in such luscious colours. The silks are Soie De Paris and Soie Ovale in each colour range. I just want to touch them all and keep looking at them. Are the packages cute or what, I can hardly bring myself to open them up!
 

 
 Tricia did such a fabulous job of packaging and labelling each item and even added a little surprise with the 'Cup of Contemplation' as a little gift to us all.
 
 
I am a little concerned about this course though. Most people taking this course seem to be very accomplished embroiderers and my skills are very limited to counted work. We started our course work stitching this month, but I have had terribly dry hands that seem to be snagging on silk threads. I have been giving my hands little scrubs, moisturising them through the night, but washing hands all day while cleaning, after wiping bottoms and changing nappies doesn't help at all. I am very much looking forward to finding out how my skills stand up as soon as I can get these hands nice and soft again.
 



13 comments:

Chris said...

What a beautiful kit!

Peggy Lee said...

Beautiful colors.
Cold weather and frequent washing makes my hands painfully dry! Keep that lotion flowing.
I know you will do just fine with your course. You are a very talented stitcher!

:o)

Shirlee said...

Gorgeous threads! I'm looking forward to seeing the progress of your project : )

Siobhán said...

Wow, gorgeous threads!! I can't wait to see some WIP pics!

Jackie said...

It sounds like Felix already appreciates silk! I can certainly understand his enthusiasm after seeing your photos!

Julianne said...

Suzanne,

I have always admired your pristine work. I am certain you will work these beautiful silks into a magnificent piece.

Margaret said...

Oh lucky lucky you!!! Thanks for sharing pics of the kit from this -- I would have loved to do this one! Good luck with it. I hope you find a solution for those dry hands and can start stitching.

Ellen said...

Gorgeous threads! I am sure you will get to enjoy this kit!

Hugs,

Anne said...

All the best on your stitching! Love the colours in the kit. Love to see your pics as you work along!! :)

Brigitte said...

Oh my, oh my, just the look of these gorgeous silks is pure delight. So it must be even more delightful to use them. I can't wait to see the first pictures of your WIPs stitched with these silks on your blog.
I use udder balm for my dry hands, the only thing that helps. It even use it when stitching - well, an hour or so before I start stitching - because I once read that udder balm doesn't affect the fabric and threads. But I don't know if it's true.

Nicky said...

Oh my goodness, those silks are so beautiful, you will have a lot of fun with all those goodies. I have trouble with rough hands too - especially in the winter due to working outside - and silks seem to be the worst affected threads. I use a non-fragranced, non-greasy hand cream as often as I can. Have fun with your course!

samplerlover said...

Beautiful threads Suzanne. Looking forward to seeing your box come together. I keep a tube of MooGoo Udder cream in my sewing box for treating dry hands. http://www.moogoo.com.au/ I can get it at GoVita up here. - Sandra.

Nicola said...

I am doing the course as well. Glad to have found another blogger.