Sunday, 2 December 2012

Secret Stitching Revealed

Just moments ago I received an email from Cathy letting me know the birthday exchange I sent through the Friends Through Thread blog had arrived. I put a few things together with a pretty felt pincushion kit from Hatched & Patched, some Stitches & Spice cottons and a selection of Thread Gatherer silks. I didn't take a photo of those, but I have borrowed a photo from Cathy (I hope you don't mind).


I also stitched a few items for Cathy. These are pillows by the designer Nicoletta Farrauto and each design reflects elements found in tapestries in the Borromeo Palace on Isola Bella, Lago Maggiore in Italy. I finished the edges of each piece with a blanket stitch using a perle cotton and one had a beautiful handmade Italian mother of pearl button.

 
 
Design: White Peacock Pincushion
Designer: Nicoletta Farrauto (Gift Of Stitching Issue 63, May 2011)
Fabric: 36ct Edinburgh linen - Ecru
Thread: DMC
Finish: Pincushion
 
 
Design: Parrot Pincushion
Designer: Nicoletta Farrauto (Gift Of Stitching Issue 64, June 2011)
Fabric: 36ct Edinburgh linen - Ecru
Thread: DMC
Finish: Pincushion
 
 
Design: Royal Visitor Pincushion
Designer: Nicoletta Farrauto (Gift Of Stitching Issue 65, July 2011)
Fabric: 32ct Belfast linen - Ecru
Thread: DMC
Finish: Pincushion
 
When I was looking at designs I also came across this strawberry by Nicoletta and not having tried a strawberry before I decided to give it ago. I didn't distress it as the instructions said. I made a slight boo, boo with this one and cut it in the wrong place so the seam was a little over the stitching, but it still came out as I had hoped. I learnt a few techniques and some lessons in the making.

 
Design: Primitive Strawberry Ornament
Designer: Nicoletta Farrauto (Gift Of Stitching Issue 49, February 2010)
Fabric: 32ct Belfast linen - Ecru
Thread: DMC
Finish: Pincushion

Finally I made a crochet mug cosy. This was a lot of fun and I will be making more of these for myself this winter. The pattern is very easy and makes a stretchy piece so it can fit on various sized mugs. I found this pattern on Pinterest, so it proves that I don't just look at things on Pinterest, but I actually make them as well!




Design: Crochet Mug Cozy
Designer: Bubblegirl (pattern found here)
Yarn: Panda Magnum Soft 8 ply - 100% acrylic (colour 4602)
Hook size: 4.00mm/US 6

19 comments:

Nicola said...

Beautiful gifts Suzanne, Cathy must be delighted.

Shirlee said...

There are times when I read a post where people have posted photos of things they've made & one or two of them really stand out, but I love everything you've shown here : ) I"m going to email you about that blanket stitch : )

Siobhán said...

Wow, what fantastic things you've made, Suzanne! Your finishing is amazing. What a neat mug cozy, too! My daughter crochets and I created a pinboard just for that, thinking I could get her to do stuff for me. I definitely need to add that to the list! ;)

Margaret said...

I really love everything you made for Cathy! Wow! All are so beautiful, and great finishing as well! Cool crochet mug thing too! Nice gifts from Cathy too!

Margaret said...

Whoops! I thought the first pic was things you received. I misread that! Sorry! You sent a wonderful set of gifts to Cathy -- she's so lucky!

Cathy B said...

The entire package was wonderful! Each piece was beautifully stitched and your finishing was superb. I'm honored that you gifted me with such beautiful stitching!

Samplers, Silks and Linens said...

Everything looks very elegant, very pretty.

Chris said...

Oh Suzanne! All of your projects are so wonderful. I love all of the stitched pieces. The mug cozy is so sweet too.
Have a great week!

samplerlover said...

Suzanne, your work is really lovely and I'm sure that Cathy was thrilled to receive everything that you sent. - Sandra.

Ellen said...

Beautiful gifts for Cathy! I love the designs you have chosen especially the strawberry!

Hugs,

Anne said...

Everything is very nice! Happy stitching! :)

Giovanna said...

Lovely ornaments!

Carol said...

I don't know where you find the time to create such beautiful things with three young children, Suzanne!! Everything looks great--love the way you've finished the little pillows--very elegant :)

valerie said...

Pretty gifts for Cathy, Suzanne! I just love the strawberry and the mug cozy! :)

Sally said...

What gorgeous gifts for Cathy.

Nicky said...

It is all so fantastic Suzanne, I really love the beautiful blanket stitch edging you've done, really finishes them perfectly. Lucky Cathy!!

Brigitte said...

These motifs and how you finished the stitching are just stunning. What a wonderful gift this is. I love Nicola Farrauto very much and as I have all the GOS issues I'll go and print these design out. I feel so tempted to stitch them as well ...

Lynn said...

I love your finishing on these ornaments Suzanne! They're all so lovely. Such pretty designs too!
Love the mug cozy. It's such a pretty colour too.

Lynn said...

I love your finishing on these ornaments Suzanne! They're all so lovely. Such pretty designs too!
Love the mug cozy. It's such a pretty colour too.