Sunday, 13 January 2013

Last finishes for 2012

We had a great Christmas and the children received way too many presents. We prepared a lovely Spanish inspired feast with lots of seafood and plenty of sangria. It was a pleasant day with rain on and off from the morning to evening, the temperature was nice and cool as well.
 
Unfortunately that was the last of the cool wet weather. You may have seen in the news that Australia is in the grip of an unusually hot and protracted heatwave. We have seen temperatures in the mid to high 30's almost everyday, except when the temperature has risen to the 40's. It's tiring and draining and hard to sleep in the evenings. We are all cranky and grumpy and snapping at each other. The promise of showers or drizzle comes at least once a week, but it never arrives. There are bushfires burning all over the country with new ones starting almost daily from arson or dry lightening strikes. However as I write this we are having a small storm, with rain, pass over us. Short lived but most welcome, although the hot weather is returning mid week.
 
I haven't been stitching as much as I would like, sticking to small portable projects that I can easily take to the coolest part of the house. It has given me an opportunity to stitch a selection of small freebies that I have wanted to complete for a long time. I will share those as soon as they are finished-finished.
 
I realised that I had forgotten to share the Christmas ornaments I stitched for Aurelia's teachers at the end of last year. I think I may have one other finish, but I can't seem to locate the photo of  it.



Design:Sweet Christmas
Designer: Glory Bee (JCS Ornament Issue - 2002)
Fabric: 28ct Cashel Zweigart linen - ecru
Thread: Gentle Art Sampler Thread
Finish: Christmas Ornament



Design: Oiseau
Designer: Gazette94 (freebie found here)
Fabric: 28ct Cashel Zweigart linen - ecru
Thread: DMC
Finish: Christmas Ornament

25 comments:

Rowyn said...

Beautiful ornaments Suzanne.

I hope that weather cools off for you soon.

Anne said...

Your ornaments are really pretty! I pray for you to get rain and stay cool. I saw just an hour ago on the weather network on tv showed people in the pools and water whereever they can find to cool down. That it was 44c! OMG, that is terribly hot. Take care and I am virtually sending you some of my snow from the balcony!! BRRRRRR

Gabi said...

Those ornaments are very pretty. Love especially the ginger bread one.
You are right, the temperatures lately are way too hot. Even my Nectarine tree died on me in those hot winds we had. :(

samplerlover said...

Hi Suzanne, Aurelia's ornaments to her teachers are lovely and I'm sure that they were very pleased to receive them.
It was so lovely to have a cooler day today and we had the storm. Lightly raining still at the moment. Did you see the fire that had broken out this afternoon at Siding Springs where the Global Telescopes are. That one looks like another bad one. Saw all of the lightening activity there. My goodness.

Giovanna said...

Gorgeous ornaments - I really like how you completed the back of the first one. I hope you soon get some relief from the hot weather - it was like that for us last summer, with the promise of rain continuously shifting away, so frustrating!

Evelyne said...

Aurelia's ornaments to her teachers are really pretty and nice finished.






Nicola said...

Beautful ornaments. I wish it was a little warmer here today in the UK, maybe you could send us a little sunshine.

Chris said...

I hope that it cools off for you soon. It sounds like you had a lovely Chrsitmas.
The ornaments that you finished are so sweet.

Patrizia Valle said...

That is adorable!!
Pat

Siobhán said...

I've been thinking of you as we watch and read the news about all the fires and the extreme heat. Yikes!! I hope you get some cooler weather soon.

Beautiful finishes!

Margaret said...

Such sweet ornaments for Aurelia's teachers! I've heard about the hot weather and fires down in Australia. Been hoping for better for all my friends down under. I hate hot -- and your temps are just so extreme! Try to stay cool if you can. And stay safe!

Sally said...

Your finishes are gorgeous.

I have seen on the news here about the fires. It is awful. Stay safe.

Brigitte said...

These ornaments are so sweet and make wonderful gifts. The recipients must have been very pleased.
We've heard about the terrible bush fires in Australia. I can't imagine such a heat, I already nearly collapse when it comes near 30°C, so how must it be with around 40°. I hope that it will soon be cooler for you.

Melissa said...

Goodness, I can see that hot weather would make life uncomfortable! As much we up north are complaining of dark days, cold, snow/rain, I think it's harder to cope when it's hot all the time! I hope more cooling weather comes your way!

Lovely ornaments! Wishing you a Happy New Year, Suzanne!

valerie said...

Such pretty ornie finishes for Aurelia's teachers! I hope the weather cools for you soon and you receive some much needed rain.

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

Beautiful ornaments. Have seen on the news the extreme heat and lack of moisture. We had eight days of triple digit heat in June and it was awful! Hope there is relief in sight

Andrea said...

Lovely ornaments.

Ranae said...

Cute ornaments, I'm most sure the teachers loved them
Stay cool!!!

Carol said...

Gosh, I hope things cool down over there very soon--it sounds horrid!!

Love both ornaments, Suzanne--both are perfectly stitched AND finished. I'm sure the teachers will treasure them. I used to sew little PS Santas for my sons' teachers when they were small and every now and then I see a teacher who tells me how much she still enjoys them each Christmas :)

Wishing you and your family a delightful 2013!

Dani - tkdchick said...

I"m sorry to hear that its so hot and you're struggling with the temperatures!

What gorgeous ornaments!

Dona said...

Pretty ornaments! I like them both, but especially love Oiseau stitched in red. I hope you get a weather change soon!

Nicky said...

Here's hoping it cools down soon. Your teachers ornaments are gorgeous, and will surely always be treasured.

Lynn said...

You are in the middle of a heatwave and we're in the middle of a frigid cold snap. Maybe we should trade places for a few days, lol! I don't think I'd feel like picking up my needle much with that heat. Hope things improve for you soon.
I love the ornaments you finished for the teachers. You've done a lovely job on the finishing!

Anne said...

Wow! What lovely gifts for your children's teacher!! I love the finishing job you had done. So adorable!!

Jenny Watson said...

I just want to say these ornaments are looking mind blowing I have no words in which I could appreciate.

Villas for Rent in France