Thursday, 9 May 2013

A Few Finishes

I haven't been stitching as much as I would like, but I did have a few finishes early this year that I really should share.

This first one was really exciting and I purchased some expensive felted wool to make the  needlebook pocket. However as I stitched the felt onto the inside of the needlebook, the expensive felt started to unravel to the point where I just sewed it all up to make a pocket for the threadwinder and didn't make it able to be opened and closed with the snaps. I am very dissapointed as I would have thought the felt would have been much more durable than it was.



 
Design: Owl Winder Pocket
Designer: Just Nan
Fabric: 28ct Zweigart Cashel linen - natural
Thread: DMC, Silk Gatherer SNC
Finish: Winder Pocket

The next project was a long time in the coming, but I have finally finished the third Blackbird Designs Mystery Sampler. I am not happy with the colour of the house, the Roasted Marshmallow was not a very good contrast to the fabric.


Design: Beyond My Heart Mystery Bonus #3 (Loose Feathers #32)
Designer: Blackbird Designs
Fabric: 30ct R&R Reproductions - Olde Town Blend
Thread: Gentle Arts, Crescent Colors and Weeks Dye Works

Finally I have been meaning to stitch this design for so long and it's just such a pretty design. I embellished it with a lovely button my mother bought me on her trip to France many years ago.

 
Design: Bird & Flower
Designer: Chessie & Me
Fabric: 32ct Belfast linen - ecru
Thread: Gentle Arts
Finish: Pincushion

22 comments:

P.J. said...

Very sweet finishes.

CJ in OK ;-) said...

Love all your pretty finishes. But actually think the little Chessie and me design is one i may look for too. CJ in OK

samplerlover said...

Beautiful pieces Suzanne, they are all lovely.

Evelyne said...

Lovely finish!

Annie said...

Love your Just Nan piece. I would have expected better performance from wool felt too.

The BBD sampler is lovely. I find a lot of times I have to modify their color choices a bit to get good contrast. Occupational hazard I guess.

Cute pincushion. And a nice way to use a special button.

Patty C. said...

So well done!

Cathy B said...

Such lovely things!

Dani - tkdchick said...

Beautiful finished especially that owl wow!!! Have you thought about putting in a Backstitch line along the edge of the house to make it pop a little?

Ellen said...

Hi Suzanne

Beautiful finishes!

I can see what you mean about the house fading into the linen. Like Dani, I would suggest backstitching around the house. Perhaps start with one ply of the color you used on the house. If you want more definition, you could go over all the backstitches with another ply of the same thread.

Cole said...

Beautiful finishes Suzanne! That Just Nan piece is so cute!

Deb said...

Wonderful finishes Susanne!

Ellen said...

Beautiful finishes, love them!

Hugs,

Margaret said...

Beautiful finishes! How disappointing about that wool felt though. :(

Barbara J said...

Beautiful finishes Suzanne ... as always. Especially the BBD ... I am partial :)

Brigitte said...

Oh, look at these pretty finishes. It's a pity that you had so much trouble with the wool felt. But the finished pocket looks just gorgeous.

I had the same problem with a BBD design, the first of the Anniversaries series. I started it twice but I'm still not happy with the thread colours as they don't really show on the fabric.

Carol said...

Such pretty finishes, Suzanne!! Love your little Chessie & Me pillow. I've stitched it myself, but hadn't realized who the designer was!

Anne said...

Looove your finishes Suzanne! Especially the thread winder pocket with the little owl peeking out!! The BBD is beautiful too!

Jackie said...

Overdyes are beautiful but can be quite frustrating with the vast color variations. Maybe backstitch with a slightly darker color?

Your finishes are beautiful! I don't mind paying a premium price for a product but I do expect quality when I do so.

Lynn said...

Oh, they're all so lovely Suzanne! It's a shame that the wool felt gave you so much trouble but the finish looks fabulous as is.
I've run into that same problem with the overdyes and quite often it's been on a BBD. Perhaps the backstitching would help define it a bit more.

Nicky said...

I think they all look lovely Suzanne. It is disappointing when things don't meet our expectations, especially when they are expensive!

Marie said...

The Owl Winder Pocket is wonderful. You did a fantastic job.

The BBD piece is very pretty. Maybe you could run a backstitch down each side to outline the house. I just finished a MAry Garry piece, using the recommended fabric and silk, and find that there is not enough contrast so I don't like it. Ugh!

feather-stitching.com said...

Sorry to hear the felt wasn't 'up to standard' so you couldn't finish it how you wanted to, but it looks wonderful to me! :D